The "consolation" prize

My goal for the last couple of years has been to qualify for the UTMB.

It took me a while to out myself on this goal and when I did, I admitted to being fairly fearful about it. There was a good reason for that. It was a lofty one and in the end, it turned out I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I failed to finish my final qualifying race, so came up short.

I've been awarded a consolation prize though.

Through finishing Glasshouse Mountains 100ks and The North Face 100 within the qualifying period, I had enough points to register for the CCC (Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix). It's the "little sister" of the UTMB - a 101km option at the UTMB festival. It has 6100m of elevation and has to be completed in 26:30.

Despite this quite immense degree of difficulty, the race is oversubscribed and you have to enter a lottery to win a spot on the start line.

I found out last week that I was one of the 1,900 lucky ones. I was successful in the draw and on 26 August 2016, I'll toe the start line of this beast of an event.


When I registered for the draw, I have to admit I didn't really own it. I felt like I was buying tickets to a tribute band because I missed tickets going on sale for the sold out actual band.

Now that I'm in, it feels anything but a consolation prize. All of a sudden, it's real, and it's frightening.

I don't know whether I can cover that distance, with that much elevation, in that little time. I don't know whether I will be able to handle it if there is inclement weather. I don't know what to wear.

I don't know whether I'll lose my passion for my main goal, UTMB.

There are many unknowns and with unknowns come doubts and fear.

But with unknowns there are also new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment