2015 goals... 2016 goals... it's all the same to me.

It's that time of the year when all good athletes set their physical goals for the year.

I could just repost my "Goals for 2015" post as "Goals for 20156". I didn't achieve my main running goal last year so it's still good to go.

But it seems I didn't write a post about my goals last year. There are probably two reasons for this.

I was going through a runner's low at the time. (Yes. I'm sure this is a thing.)

I was also fairly sheepish about the goal I'd set for myself last year. It was quite lofty.

While I didn't write a specific post about my 2015 goals, I outed myself at Logan River parkrun on New Years Day and subtly included it in a post about goal Brisbane's best* parkruns that I posted that day.

For those of you who missed it last year, here is my main physical goal for 20156.

Goal for 2015: complete two qualifying races for UTMB
My event goal for 20156. To complete two qualifying races for UTMB.

The thing with this goal is that at this point, I'm not sure exactly how this will pan out.

The first race on my list is the Ultratrail Australia (previously The North Face 100) in May. I've already entered this one.

The second one is in the lap of the trail running Gods. I've registered for the CCC (Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix) in August this year - the little sister of the UTMB itself. Like the UTMB it's oversubscribed so I will know in a few weeks whether I've been drawn in the lottery.

If I'm not successful in the CCC lottery, I'll take care of some unfinished business and head back to the Great North Walks 100 miler. Sucker for punishment? Maybe.

Both of these options will give me enough points to throw my hat in the ring for the UTMB in 2017. I am hoping like hell that the qualification process doesn't change like it did last year. I am already on plan D and E here after plan A and B became redundant, and I failed to finish my Plan C race. I think if I have to come to plan F, I'll be F'ed alright.

So wish me more success this year than I had last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment