Ashgrove parkrun - Accidental Historian

Today I ran Ashgrove parkrun. It was my first 5k run for months and it felt good to run all the way, and finish just a few seconds behind the 35 minute pacer from the Ashgrove Rangers.

The parkrun is based at the Ashgrove Sports Grounds and utilises the Enoggera Creek Bikepath. I haven't run along this bikeway very much - but I've run around Enoggera Reservoir a few times... so there was a nice synergy for a comeback run.

I noticed plaques along the bikeway during the run so when I walked back to my car I took a closer look.



Of course I came home and Googled some of these places. The #AccidentalHistorian in me couldn't help myself!

Glen Lyon House was built as a private resident by a Scottish migrant on a massive block of land which was sold and subdivided after his death in 1918. The house and some land around it was purchased by the Catholic Diocese, rented to and then purchased by the Marist Fathers, and since 2003 has been privately owned as a residence.

Grove Estate was privately owned until it was subdivided in 1884 to form most of what is now Ashgrove.

St Jude's Tower was built as a Catholic mission, but is now the formal building at Marist Brothers School.

Waterworks Road is the main road into Ashgrove these days - but the suburb was serviced by Brisbane Tramways from 1924 until 1968.

You can read more about Ashgrove's history in this local history written by the ABC or on the Ashgrove Historical Society's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment